Canal Flats (pop. 700) is a village located at the southern end of Columbia Lake in the Columbia Valley. It’s the gateway to several provincial parks including Whiteswan and Top of the World. It was originally named McGillivray’s Portage.
There are a number of local attractions and recreation activities to keep you busy all year. The village has services such as restaurants, community centre, and general merchandise stores. The nearby lake provides summer fun for the whole family. Boating, swimming, and fishing are the pride of the area. Winter brings snow and some of the best skiing in BC. On the first weekend in June, Canal Flats holds their annual Canal Days Party. Events include a talent show, parades, pancake breakfast, beer garden, raffles, and naming the Canal Flats Citizen of the Year. You won’t want to miss Mowers and Music or the Flats Fest music festival.
Canal Flats people have a passionate commitment to building a lifestyle that supports family, friends and neighbors, with a strong emphasis on the outdoors. People looking to move to the Columbia Valley to raise their families, are increasingly finding the village of Canal Flats a great place to call home.
Canal Flats real estate
Canal Flats features a mix of home types and styles ranging from mobiles, character homes, luxury properties, and cottages. Land ownership varies by development. Both freehold and leased land (mostly recreational) are available depending on use and budget. Starter homes are affordable for singles and retirees.
Homes in this area might be situated directly on the lake with foreshore access for boating and a swimming dock or at an elevation that provides views of the entire lake and spectacular sunsets. If you prefer water, forest, views, or something closer to town, Canal Flats has it all.
Canal Flats neighbourhood guide
- Canal Flats Proper – affordable rural community offers a variety of home styles from mobile homes, modest homes/cottages to small acreages. The community offers a grocery store with gas pumps, post office, library, park, community hall, curling rink and ice rink. Close to the Canal Flats Provincial Park and Columbia Lake. Price range from $100 for mobile homes and old homes and up.
- Cedar Crescent – the original “subdivision” on the north side of Canal Flats is made up of modest bungalow and bi-level homes on fully serviced lots. Close to the school and park. Prices range from $150 to $300 depending on condition and location.
- Bighorn Estates – the newest single-family community in Canal Flats a short walk to the Canal Flats Provincial Park and Columbia Lake. Newer homes on nice treed lots with prices ranging from $300 and up.
- Eagles Nest Estates – this area is overlooking the Columbia Lake. It’s an exclusive community that offers waterfront homes, cottages and upscale homes close to all amenities. Prices range from $450 to $1 million+.
- Jade Landing – townhome style development offers 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes with surface parking, lots of green space with playground. Great entry level community with prices ranging from $150 and up. Strata fees include exterior building maintenance, grounds maintenance, snow removal, garbage, building insurance and management. Owner pays BC Hydro (water and sewer included in the property taxes for Canal Flats).
- Willow View – small townhome style development offers 2 bedroom homes with surface parking. Great entry level community with prices ranging from $150 and up. Strata fees include exterior building maintenance, grounds maintenance, snow removal, garbage, building insurance and management. Owner pays BC Hydro (water and sewer included in the property taxes for Canal Flats).